Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Practical Magic


“There are some things, after all, that Sally Owens knows for certain: Always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder. Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Add pepper to your mashed potatoes. Plant roses and lavender, for luck. Fall in love whenever you can.” 


Somewhere in my middle school years I saw Practical Magic for the first time. At that age, I was obsessed with the possibility of witchcraft. Could it be real? Could I have magical powers...maybe if I just practiced. Focused on developing my birth right....

The next time I saw the same movie, I was in my early twenties...and for me the premise of the story had changed. As I grew older, I learned that magic was the joy that you created in your own life, and "miracles" were possible if you worked hard to achieve them. The story of Practical Magic, developed differently this time in my mind, it became about the bond of sisterhood, the faith in love, and the strength of your spirit that can only be built by your family. YOU-- ultimately--defined your character as your grew older, but the core of your being, was always the inner child developed by your family. 

We all grow feeling some kind of angst towards our family--siblings, Mom, and Dad.
(If you didn't, congratulations. I did.)
In my early adult years, I was determined to shed everything my family had taught me. I would NOT be shackled to their conservative views on the world.
I would be different, I would join the 'voice' of the people.
I was determined to prove them wrong...
I'm not sure why we rebel--scratch that--i'm not sure who I was fighting my family or me. 

Fast forward the rebellion to 28, and it all comes down to practical magic. My family, as hard as I have fought them, have defined me. They have taught me all the practical magic I need to live my best life. I guess my birthright wasn't love spells, flying, or turning my enemies into frogs. (Can't I at least spin a pencil in circle just by staring at it, come on!!)
Love, faith, and family are the only spells you need to experience your own practical magic.


 "Always say please and thank you. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Be who you want to become. Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else. BE YOU. Be kind to everyone. Love has no limits."
Todd&Kathleen Hodgins


No comments:

Post a Comment